The Town of Elon is a Piedmont-Triad community located on the western part of Alamance County, and to the northwest of the City of Burlington. The town encompasses approximately 5 square miles, and is made up of 9,419 (2010 Census) residents. The town also serves as the home for Elon University.
Mission Statement - "The Town of Elon desires to build upon its distinguished heritage by providing for responsible growth while maintaining its small town characteristics."
The Planning and Development Services goals and tasks:
- Provide good growth management by making decisions that maintain our small town characteristics by strategically locating new land development in the most appropriate places, help reduce costly suburban sprawl, use existing infrastructure investments, protect environmental resources, and preserve open space.
- Build strong relationships by coordinating and cooperating. with key community institutions, and surrounding jurisdictions.
- Carefully preserve Elon’s Environmental Resources.
- Help preserve Elon’s small town character
- Provide adequate public services and infrastructure.
Some of the many tasks that the planning department is involved with are to:
- To serve as the liaison between the local government, town citizens, and elected/appointed boards.
- Provide good customer service and a working relationship with the community.
- Process and/or review major/minor developments, final plats, site plans, sign permits, building permits, demolition requests, rezoning requests, annexations, certificates of occupancy, interpretations of the land development ordinance, and zoning/code enforcement.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call, write, or come by at the following address and phone number.
Sean Tencer, Town Planner
104 S. Williamson Avenue
P.O. Box 595
Elon, NC 27244
Municipal Building: (336) 584-2859
Fax: (336) 584-5334